
Varmint
I once thought the word originated with my family however I found:
Function: Noun
Etymology: alteration of vermin
Date: 1539
An animal considered a pest; specifically : one classed as vermin and unprotected by game law.
This is a picture off the web, but when I walked out my back door last night to let Izzy out this ugly thing was starring at me! I swear mine was bigger than Izzy I estimate about 10 lbs (and I swear that is not an exaggeration!) At this point I'm wondering what small animals he's been eating in the city that has allowed him to keep his plump figure. He showed me his teeth and made this hissing noise at me!!! I screamed bloody murder and then tried to decide who to call to come kill it! Given the recent events at my parents house, I called my brother. Let me also add it was 11:30 "on a school night" as Russ would say. Speaking of Russ, he better be glad he moved b/c had he been in his old house he and Maria would have gotten the call. Anyway, so my brother couldn't really understand me b/c I was freaking out! I think it was also b/c he was still half asleep...it was 11:30 after all. Once he understood, he told me to go back to sleep that even if he came over it was gone so there was nothing he could do. WHAT!!!!! I'm supposed to just let Izzy out there and then go to bed. Did you NOT hear the part about it showing me teeth and hissing???? Just recalling this incident is making hairs stand up!!! So I had to brave the night by myself and try to sleep while suppressing the thought, "what if while I had the door open one of his friends ran inside. It could have been a plan devised by these hungry opossums!" So Izzy and I slept with the bedroom door shut and locked (just in case they are smart varmints who can open doors. They don't appear to be smart, however I was taking no chances!) Tonight I'm putting out a trap. Stay tuned, but for now I have to go research what opossums eat!
I had to come back and add to the post...are you freaking kidding me! Look what I found
http://www.opossum.org/diet.htm
http://theopossumpage.com/pagekeeping.html
Some people are SOOOOOOO weird! The second site is a possum named Theo possum like the Opossum. Seriously! The opossum.org site says their diet consists of 14% to 27% mammals! Izzy beware!!! Oh, and they eat fruit so I'll bait the trap with that!
7 comments:
I just
I just asked a boy from the country in my offic eif he knows how to kill a possum. He thought it was a joke, but then in all seriousness he told me that if you get close enough to it, it will play dead, then you can stab it. Or he says get a large squirrel trap and put food in it.
He gave me some other stories, I'll share with you later.
I have a stuffed possum in my office.
that is weird about the guy taking them in and talking about petting them etc. no thank you!
Hope you get them! That would be scary to have one in the yard and worry about your little one getting attacked etc. If Izzy is like mine they have little man syndrome and think they can take on anything!
So what happens when he gets caught in the trap?
Gross Gross Gross! I don't want to know ANYMORE details!!! I'm so sorry though!! I vote take Izzy out front on a leash for now. What is it with your family and weird varmints?!?!?!?!
Ryan wants to know how you got close enough to get a picture. (I told him you used a zoom lens)
Hello! Read it! I got that picture off the web!
Post a Comment