Friday, September 21, 2007

For all of you who have been asking......

For those of you who have been asking about my background, it's going to be very hard for this non-techie (who thinks she can be a techie) to explain it but here it goes....
Let me first start with a disclaimer...I'm sorry if these instructions jack up your blog and also this looks and sounds much worse that it really is!!!!
1. First sign into your blogger account and go to the template tab.
2. Click on the edit html.
3. Click the box that says "Expand Widget Templates"
4. Highlight all the htlm language and copy and paste it into a word doc.
5. Save the word doc incase I jack up your blog. If that happens all you have to do is copy and paste your html language saved in your word document back onto this screen.

OK so now that we have a back-up....
1. Click “pick a new template” and choose rounders 3
2. Save this template.
3. Go out on the internet (I would suggest fabric, scrapbooking, or stationary websites) and find the background you want. (Note: This will be a repeating pattern so make sure to choose something that will look good repeated.)
4. Right click on the item and "save picture as"
5. Name it and save it (for this example I’m saving my picture as “WE-Glenwood.jpg”)
6. Go back to your blog and open a new post
7. Upload the picture like normal and click "save now" (this will save the picture on your blog as a draft so it will not show when others visit your blog but you will see it in your edit posts view. Do not delete this draft you will need it as long as you have the background. This will give the picture an address on blogger which we will need in the next few steps)
8. Now stay with me… Click on edit posts. You should see your draft in this view. (If you don’t see your draft, look for the “Your Posts: All, Drafts, Published” and click All.) Now click on the draft that you just saved in step 7. Chose Edit, once the post is opened, you are put into the compose tab we need to be in the edit html tab. OK so it should look something like this in the edit html tab:



9. We need to copy the place where our picture is stored on blogger so for this example I would copy the following from above
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEivT792m_tQGvaI8FoaFj48LxoYC9d9owewuC4BGgZYmBhc0l9xCj92D1sEOitToZ0K3_8YZuaI0OrIkPCaBjZ3eLcP2PoiJkmXfhtECfCmxE9Bp_FHmxRHnBKC3j9Pdq1UPyAxULPY2F0/s400/WE-Glenwood.jpg (basically you will need what starts with http and ends with your picture’s name) make sure you choose the one after the “src=” and NOT the “href”. Ok so we have that copied.
10. Now go back into the template tab for your blog.
11. Click on the “edit html” tab and also click “Expand Widget Templates”
12. Ok here is the tricky part. Put your curser in the html language and page down about 4x until you see
body {
background:#123;
it should read
body {
background: url
(https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEivT792m_tQGvaI8FoaFj48LxoYC9d9owewuC4BGgZYmBhc0l9xCj92D1sEOitToZ0K3_8YZuaI0OrIkPCaBjZ3eLcP2PoiJkmXfhtECfCmxE9Bp_FHmxRHnBKC3j9Pdq1UPyAxULPY2F0/s400/WE-Glenwood.jpg)
Note: the above is my example in parentheses after url will be your address from step 9.
13. Click save and view the finish product. You can change fonts and colors of the other stuff in the template tab then click “fonts and colors.”
14. Hope it worked!!!!

8 comments:

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

erin- ithought i was sorta comp savvy, but i got lost at like step #4. but your background looks pretty! i like all the fun ones i see you girls using! maybe when i am feeling bored and really brave!

Julie said...

That's so confusing. I'll just have you change it when I want a new background!!!

erin elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Walkers said...

I love Julie's comment- she and I are on the same page... "thanks for taking the time to try and tell me how to do it but I think I'll just have you be my webmaster". :)

Corbin said...

okay I am gonna try it. But if I "jack" somthing up you can fix it for me right?

The Harringtons said...

What??? I have no idea what any of that means. I will tell Matt to look at these directions and see what he can do. Your page looks beautiful though!

The Gleasons said...

Hi! I found your blog through Keri's. :) I just wanted to thank you for posting these directions!! I have always wondered how to do that. Now, whether or not I can actually do it is another story. Your blog rocks!

Andrea

Erin said...

Elizabeth Johnson told me about your post. Really confusing, but I did it! Thanks so much!